Let’s face it, the interior of your car gets little attention when it comes to detailing. Kids, pets, food and other contaminants all can take their toll on your car’s interior. While it’s easy to neglect the interior of your car, the long-term affects will soon become apparent. Interior car cleaning can take as little as 15 minutes, so why not get started today?
Eco Touch Carpet + Upholstery Cleaner
Eco Touch All Purpose
Eco Touch Window Clear
Eco Touch Dashboard Protect
Eco Touch Leather Care (optional if you have leather)
1) Remove all loose debris from the car including trash, car seats, car mats and coins. You want the interior of your car to be stripped of as much as possible to enable you to get into every nook and cranny.
2) Thoroughly vacuum the vehicle’s seating and carpeting. Many vacuums come with special attachments for those hard-to-reach places such as in between the seat and center console. Remember to move your seats to the full forward and backward position so you can cover ever inch of carpeting on the floor.
3) Now that the car has been vacuumed, you may notice there are still spots on the vehicle’s interior from liquid spills. You’ll want to grab your bottle of Eco Touch Carpet + Upholstery and scrub brush. Apply Eco Touch Carpet + Upholstery onto the spot and let sit for 30 seconds. Next, agitate with the brush to activate the formula, you should start to notice foaming. Finally blot dry with a microfiber cloth.
4) Next it’s time to take on the vinyl and trim pieces of the vehicle. If they’ve been heavily neglected and contain built-up grime you need to do a deep cleaning. Grab your bottle of Eco Touch All Purpose and get to work. Spray on the vinyl/trim and let set for about 10 seconds before wiping with a dry microfiber cloth. Letting the formula set on the surface allows the cleaning agents to penetrate in vinyl material and lift out contaminants.
Once the vinyl has been cleaned you want to add a protective layer to help fend off UV rays or future contaminants. Eco Touch Dashboard Protect is a low-gloss protectant which is enhanced with carnauba wax. Apply once section at a time and thoroughly work into the surface. It is not glossy and will leave very little residue behind.
5) If you have leather, continue reading. If not, skip to step 6. Leather seats, much like our skin, require constant nourishment. Over time leather can dry and crack, so you’ll want to add moisture back to the surface. However, you may also notice that the leather has also accumulated its fair share of dirt and debris. You’ll want to brush away any visible contaminants before applying a formula on the surface. Once the surface is clear, grab your bottle of Eco Touch Leather Care and get to work. Work one section at a time with a soft microfiber cloth. This is a 2-in-1 cleaner and protectant designed specifically for leather surfaces.
6) The next step in completing your interior detail is the windows. While many people think “window cleaning, piece of cake”, they soon find they are left with streaks and smudge marks after using their favorite cleaner. You see, there is a science to window cleaning. The right product + the right cleaning cloth = great results. Many people think that they can grab their household glass cleaner, a roll of paper towels, and the job in done. Unfortunately when driving (especially at night) we can see every missed spot.
Start by taking Eco Touch Window Clear and our proprietary glass cleaning cloth. Spray lightly one section at a time and buff clean. As the towel become more saturated with formula, switch to a new side. It’s really that easy. If you’re unsure you’ve cleaned without streaking, hold up a light to the glass and look at it from different angles. You’ll soon see whether or not you’ve missed a spot.
7) The final step in your interior cleaning routine is to thoroughly clean all the floor mats before putting them back in your car. One important tip: if you’ve laid the mats down on the ground or a dirty floor, be sure to also clean the BACK of the mat before putting it in the car. Otherwise you’ll find you’ve dragged along dirt and grime right back onto the carpets.
Eco Touch manufactures and formulates a wide range of interior car cleaning products for both DIY consumers and professionals. Be sure to check them out and let us know if you have any questions!
James Dudra on Google+